Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Whitsunday Islands






Teri - After Fraser Island, we took a long bus ride up the east coast to Airlie Beach. We spent one day and night in Airlie and then boarded the Kiana, http://whitsundayssailingadventures.com.au/vessel.php?name=kiana , a 16.4 metre yacht for fourteen passengers plus three crew, for three days and two nights. What a fantastic experience! Chris had cruised the Whitsundays on his first trip up the coast fourteen years ago and really wanted to share the experience with me. I was hesitant at first because of the cost, but it was well worth it! The Whitsunday Islands are gorgeous! We visited the most beautiful place I've ever been - Whitehaven Beach - snorkelled, and I scuba-dived the Great Barrier Reef! (Unfortunately Chris couldn't scuba dive due to a chest cold.) The crew took excellent care of us including feeding us delicious meals. Sailing was exhilarating thanks to a couple Gravol taken ahead of time. I highly recommend the Kiana to anyone who wants to experience the Whitsunday Islands and the outer Great Barrier Reef.
About scuba diving... I went three times, the second time I was really scared and had to practice the deep yogic breathing to keep myself from panicking, but the third time was much better. I could appreciate how tranquil and almost meditative diving could be once one gets used to the bizarre feeling of breathing underwater. There's so much to see when you relax and are able to look around. I can't wait to go again!

No comments:

Post a Comment